Monday, February 06, 2006

What's in a name? Just an anecdote

Since we are in a community of webheads, I would like to tell you why I chose this name for my blog. It happened once that I had just started to give a talk in a f2f conference for EFL teachers when I was highly disappointed but surprised at the same time.
My talk was called "Beyond the Classroom with Telecollaborative Projects". I started my talk defining project work and then I passed on to define the problematic word : telecollaborative. Once I finished with this explanation, it was clear what my talk was going to be about. I was planning to introduce EFL teachers to the use of online project work

At that moment, a teacher at the back stood up to tell me that she was going to leave because she had come to my talk thinking that my talk was going to be on the use of Television.

It was at that time when I realized how many teachers are still unaware of all the benefits that technology can bring to their EFL classrooms and worst of all, how frightening technology can be for them to the extent that they prefer leaving to learning about it.

3 comments:

Gladys Baya said...

Great blog, Silvana! :-) And I really like the name you've chosen for it! Now, when are you planning to start posting something on television???:-P! (just kidding!!!). Talking seriously, if telecollaboration has helped us so much, and we live about 10 minutes from each other, who can deny its potential when you can get linked to people from all over the world?!? :-D!

PS: you may want to set either comment moderation or word verification for comments here, I believe otherwise you might get spammed as I was! (though may be I've allowed anonymous comments, not sure!)

testecarla said...

Dear Silvana,

Here, in Brazil, we share the same feeling, but Erika and I never give up! We keep training teachers, encouraging them to use technological tools, etc...When we get one teacher to "visualize" the wonders of technology, we are happy! And that's the way we've been doing. We are glad that we've opened a couple of eyes in our school. Perseverance is part of our mission!!!!

Well, I think Moira mentioned that you could have bigger fonts, but I think you've incorporated that suggestion in the following comment you posted!

Nice blog.

Carla Arena

Silvana said...

Thanks for your comments. I liked your joke. At least, because of tellecollaboration we had the possibility of appearing on a TV program. ( a bit more about your joke, but partly talking seriously!!!)

I will follow your suggestions as regards moderation. Thanks for the piece of advice.